Specialty coffee is an actual grade for coffee beans. It was invented by the SCA (Specialty Coffee Association.)
- Grade 1: Specialty Coffee Beans.
- Grade 2: Premium Coffee Beans.
- Grade 3: Exchange Coffee Beans.
- Grade 4: Standard Coffee Beans.
- Grade 5: Off-Grade Coffee Beans.
Coffee is graded by how many defects are in the green beans, and if the coffee has a distinctive attribute in acidity, body, aroma, or taste. Specialty is the highest grade with the fewest defects. (quakers, insect bites, etc) and Off-grade is the lowest quality coffee.